height

Saturday, March 9, 2024

Extra Images from Push Process: 1


This is one of a few posts where I’ll review some of the images that didn’t make it into Push Process

The book has a lot of scenes set in bars. Several of these have accompanying photographs – but fewer than you might expect. Shooting in bars without flash, and with an all-manual film camera, was/is very difficult! Nowadays, assuming I was in a bar to begin with, which I very rarely am any more, and assuming I had the chutzpah to photograph strangers, which I don’t any more – I would use an automated digital camera and possibly flash as well. The failure rate for this kind of photography is high enough to begin with – deliberately making it higher now seems a pointless affectation. 

Anyway, here’s three that work fine, but don’t quite have the exemplary qualities I was hoping for. All shot on Delta 3200 pushed to either 6400 or 12,500. The first is from Da Baffo, a bar that doesn’t feature in the novel, but is mentioned in my first book, Pistols! Treason! Murder!; the second is from the bar fictionalised as ‘Da Enzo’ in the novel; the third is Florian in Piazza San Marco, but from outside.

No comments: