height

Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Am A Pilgrim

Lynsey and Friends, Glasgow, 2004

My short sequence of photographs, I Am A Pilgrim, has just been published in the online magazine 1:1. Pilgrim was a project I started as an adjunct to my photographic project on Venice. Pilgrim consists of a series of 35mm colour slides, whereas Gondolas is primarily in monochrome; Pilgrim depicts friends and family, whereas Gondolas depicts strangers; and Pilgrim was confined to a short period of time, but an open-ended series of locations, whereas Gondolas is open-ended chronologically, but depicts a single location: i.e. Venice. In presenting Pilgrim, I included the original mounts together with the actual images to emphasise the fact that slides - as the product of a very particular, but now obsolete technology - have specific formal properties. The principal subject of the photo above, Lynsey Wells (she's on the right), has a Franz Ferdinand song dedicated to her, which I mention because my photo was taken at The Chateau in Glasgow during a Franz Ferdinand concert.

Thanks to Guillermo Labarca for his invitation to submit to 1:1 magazine.

No comments: